Welcome to 2022! Here’s hoping for a calm, safe and mostly uneventful year (at least as far as Covid’s concerned). While it might be somewhat cliché, a new year certainly brings in a lot of change and improvement – from improving your mind, your body, your life. We might be biased, but we believe nothing yells ‘new year, new me’ like some beautiful home improvements and some new year’s resolutions. Granted, home improvements can be stressful and resolutions can be hard to stick to (like no chocolate for all of January – it is almost impossible – we have tried!) However, there are some home improvement projects that will make your home look as good as new without causing you to tear your hair out from stress. And would you believe there are some resolutions that are easy to stick to, too. With that in mind, please enjoy our list of four stress-free home improvements you can make to ring in 2022, plus WoW’s new year resolutions (which you can steal, if you like).
1. Kitchen Remodel
Who doesn't love a new kitchen? It is possibly one of the most popular home improvement projects to make. A lovely new kitchen does not only improve the look and functionality of your home, but it also offers a great ROI. However, big kitchen remodels can be stressful and very expensive. The good news is you can make small remodels to your kitchen that will not cost an arm and a leg or give you a headache, but will still make a major difference to your home. A small kitchen remodel might include replacing laminate countertops with new laminate or quartz, updating the backsplash, swapping out old appliances for more energy-efficient models, updating your sink and faucet, adding wall coverings and replacing vinyl flooring with new vinyl or tile.
2. Paint the Walls
Who else loves the smell of fresh paint? Painting the walls is a very simple, cost-effective and oftentimes fun home improvement project the whole family can join in on. Choosing a new color for your walls or even just refreshing the color you already have will give your home an immediate face-lift and make it feel brand-new. While you are at it, you can give your floors some love too with a buffer and polish – another fool-proof home improvement trick that will leave your home looking and feeling like it was just built yesterday.
3. New Siding
A slightly bigger home improvement project but still relatively stress-free is installing new siding. New siding is a home improvement project that can have a massive impact on the overall look and feel of your home. New siding not only seriously enhances the curbside appeal of your home, but it can also help lower your utility bills and keep your home comfortable year round. In fact, new siding is one of the most popular home improvement projects, so we highly recommend getting it done, especially if your siding is showing signs it needs to be replaced.
4. Replacement Windows & Doors
Another simple home “face-lift” trick is replacing your old windows and doors. Not only will it improve the look and feel of your home but it will also make it more energy efficient and save you money on utility bills. Old windows and doors can allow outside air to leak in and your conditioned inside air to leak out, which can be taxing on your heating and cooling system, and expensive for your wallet. The good news is windows and doors will ensure you have no air leakage issues, and will actually save you money. Not to mention new windows and door installation are relatively stress-free and will give your home a big refresh without making any major changes (like ripping off your roof or knocking down walls).
WoW’s New Year’s Resolutions
We thought we would give you some bonus content in the form of our 2022 resolutions. We love a good New Year’s resolution so much that we have four that we are taking into 2022 and beyond. Sharing is caring, so we hope you find some of these resolutions useful and adopt them yourselves for the year ahead.
- Go green and save: Going green is not only good for you and good for the planet, but it is also good for your wallet. There are small ways throughout your home to make a difference, such as learning how to properly recycle, turning off lights when you are not using them, or installing solar panels.
- Choose low-maintenance: When carrying out home improvement projects this year, it is a good idea to try and use materials that are both low-maintenance and durable. This will not only save you time and effort, but will help save you money as you will not need to constantly update your home when certain components eventually wear-down (like windows or siding).
- Get organized: Getting organized and decluttering your home is possibly one of the most inexpensive and simplest ways to improve your home in 2022. Keeping your home clutter-free comes down to two things: periodically donating things you do not use, and only buying things you actually need.
- Always budget: If 2022 is your year to make your home the best it has ever looked and felt, it is a good idea to start off the year with a home improvement budget. Creating a budget for the year will help you get a clear idea of your spending across the year, while also helping you to avoid overspending on your home improvement projects.
We hope these tips and resolutions have given you some ideas to make 2022 your best year yet! And, if you need any extra help with your home improvement projects, please get in touch with the WoW team today – we would love to help!