Read about the different ways to measure energy efficiency in a window.
When choosing a new replacement window, one of the most important factors to consider is its energy efficiency. There are a few ways to measure energy efficiency in a window, such as:
- Visible Transmittance (VT), which measures the amount of light that gets through.
- U-Factor, which measures the rate of heat transfer and tells you how well the window insulates.
- Solar Heat Gain Coefficient (SGHC), which measures the fraction of solar energy transmitted and tells you how well the window blocks heat caused by sunlight.
- Air Leakage (AL), which measures the rate of air passes through joints in the window.
- Condensation Resistance, which measures how well the window resists water build-up.
You can read more about the different components of an energy-efficient window here.